Solar Keymark – The Quality Label for Solar Thermal Products in Europe
The Keymark for solar thermal products will assist users to select quality solar collectors and systems. This “Solar Keymark” is the result of a voluntary certification scheme supported by the European Solar Thermal Industry Federation.
The Solar Keymark is a voluntary third-party certification mark for solar thermal products, demonstrating to end-users that a product conforms to the relevant European standards and fulfils additional requirements. The Solar Keymark is used in Europe and increasingly recognized worldwide.
The Keymark for solar thermal products will assist users to select quality solar collectors and systems.
The Solar Keymark is a CEN/CENELEC European mark scheme, dedicated to:
- Solar thermal collectors (based on European standard series EN 12975)
- Factory made solar thermal systems (based on European standard series EN12976
Awarding Institution & criteria
The basic elements in the certification scheme are:
- Certificates are delivered by Keymark empowered certification bodies
- Test reports are delivered by accredited test laboratories
- The products are delivered by Keymark licensed manufacturers fulfilling the requirements for factory production control
The “Solar Keymark Test Institutes” are the institutes having declared to ESTIF that they have accreditation for testing according to the European standards for solar thermal systems :
- EN 12975-2: Solar thermal systems and components – Solar collectors – Part 2: Test methods
- EN 12976-2: Solar thermal systems and components – Factory made systems – Part 2: Test methods
Certification costs for one collector/system:
- First year costs approx: € 2000-3000
- Annual costs following years approx: € 2000
Relevance on the market
The Solar Keymark has been developed by the European Solar Thermal Industry Federation (ESTIF), with the support of the European Commission and was introduced by CEN earlier in year 2003.