Romania: Energy efficiency measures in Rudozem Municipality
The municipality of Rudozem is located in Southern Bulgaria, in Western Rhodope Mountains. The pupulation of the municipality amounts to 9,714 inhabitants. The total area of Rudozem Municipality is 177, 58 km2. 80 % of their territory is occupied by forests.
The municipality aims to improve energy efficiency in public and residential buildings and to increase the share of energy from renewable sources used in public and private sector.
It is expected that the border crossing point between Rudozem and Xanthi will open soon. It will stimulate the economic growth in the municipality and the region as a whole.
Madan Municipality signed up to the Covenant of Mayors in 2015. The elaboration of a SEAP is in the process of development.
To optimise the maintenance costs of educational infrastructure, the municipality implemented a project focusing on energy efficiency measures.
The project included:
- Installation of external thermal insulation;
- Replacement of old windows with new energy efficient ones;
- Installation of thermal insulation on a roof;
- Implementation of energy efficiency measures on building systems
- Three renovated buildings (Primary school “ Hristo Botev “in village of Elhovets, Kindergarden “Daga” in village of Elhovets, Kindergarten “Elitsa” in village of Chepintsi);
- Implemented energy efficiency measures in the three buildings;
- Resulted annual energy savings of 693. 67 MWh/a;
- Resulted annual CO2 savings: 249 t CO2/a;
- Resulted energy cost savings: 97,786 EUR/y for the maintenance of the three buildings;
- Improved study environment for 211 young people living in the municipality of Rudozem
The project is a good example how measures for energy efficiency can
- Save energy;
- Decrease CO2 emmissions and improving air quality;
- Improve living standard;
- Save money.